Chillies Rellonos Casserole
CHILIES RELLONOS CASSEROLE
8 corn tortillas (6-7inches)
1+ TBS veg oil (divided use)
1 cup finely chopped onion
¾ pound Pepper Jack cheese
2 cans (7oz each) whole green chilies drained
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (divided use)
4 large eggs
2 TBS all-purpose flour
Pre-heat oven to 350
1. Stack tortillas and cut into ½ to 1 inch squares
2. In large frying pan (12in) heat 1 TBS veg oil, add onions and stir over medium heat until limp.
(about 3 min). Add about 2 more TBS oil, turn heat on high, add tortillas squares, stir until small
bits start to brown (may have to add more oil)
3. Scatter browned tortilla mixture in a 8x12 inch oval or rectangle casserole dish which is at
least 2in deep.
4. Shred 2 cups cheese, sprinkle over tortilla mixture.. Cut remaining cheese in to ¼ in
5. Stuff a stick of cheese in each drained chili, lay chilies in a single layer on top of browned
tortillas. Sprinkle ½ cup fresh cilantro over chilies (remember which way you layer chilies
so when serving you get an entire chili or two.
6. Separate eggs, Whip whites with mixer on high until they hold soft but distinct peaks. Set
7. Mix egg yolks (used unwashed beaters) with flour, then beat on high until paler in color. Beat
½ the whites into the yolk. Then fold remaining ½ whites and the other ½ cup
cilantro into mixture, DO NOT over mix, a few remaining clumps of just whites is fine. Pour mixture
over chilies. Top with remaining cup of shredded cheese
8. Bake until top is golden brown and feels firm when lightly touched – 20-25 min.