Pho (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
8 cups beef broth
3 whole star anise
2 3” cinnamon stix
1 1.5” piece peeled fresh ginger, slice
4 oz. uncooked rice stick noodles
1½ lbs. boneless sirloin steak, sliced thin
2½ T minced shallots or onion (if you're an onion fan, add more)
2 T sake or rice vinegar
1 T minced peeled fresh ginger
3 T fish sauce
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
2 c bean sprouts
1 c fresh mint or basil
1/3 c fresh cilantro
¼ c minced green onions
1 t thinly sliced red chile
6 lime wedges
1) Mix first 4 ingredients in large soup pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 30 min.
2) Place rice noodles in large bowl, cover with hot water. Let stand 15 min, drain. Cook noodles in boiling water 1 min or til tender.
3) Combine beef, shallots, sake, ginger in large zip lock; seal and marinate in frig 10 min. Add beef mix to broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to med and cook 1 min.
4) Add fish sauce and salt and pepper. Stir.
5) Place noodles in each of 6 bowls and top with broth mix.
6) Serve bean sprouts, herbs, green onions, chile, and lime on a plate and let people add what they like.
Food's better if you play with it first!!
Submitted by: tbooker69 on July 20, 2010, 9:17 pm
This recipe is included in 3
Avg Rating: (1 votes)
Share this recipe: