Kenny Rogers Fire-And-Ice Chili
1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in syrup
2 pounds lean boneless pork roast cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions chopped (1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic minced
1 28-ounce can tomatoes cut up
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers drained
1 green pepper chopped (3/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 to 3 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Chili toppers: sliced onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese.
1. Drain pineapple, reserving syrup.
2. In a Dutch oven, cook pork, half at a time, in hot olive oil till brown. Return all the meat to the pot. Add the first chopped onion and 1 clove garlic. Cook over medium heat till onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the reserved pineapple syrup, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, green chili peppers, the green pepper, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, chili powder, cumin, jalapeno pepper and salt.
4. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer the chili for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the pineapple chunks. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more.
5. Let diners add their own toppers. Makes 8 to 10 servings. Note: To increase the spiciness of the chili, add 2 more tablespoons of the jalapeno pepper.
Submitted by: Pete on January 5, 2012, 7:13 pm
This recipe is included in 1 recipe book.
Avg Rating: (1 votes)
Share this recipe: