Pete's Submitted Recipes«
Page 99 of 175 »
Pappardelle With Beef and Mushroom Ragu
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
kosher salt and black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as button, cremini, and shiitake), sliced
12 ounces pappardelle or fettuccine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for serving
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the beef with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until slightly darkened, about 1 minute more.
3. Return the beef to the saucepan and add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the beef is fork-tender, 60 to 75 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms to the saucepan and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes more. If the sauce is too thin, simmer, uncovered, until thickened to the desired consistency.
5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot. Add the beef ragù and Parmesan and toss. Serve with additional Parmesan.
The ragu can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Source: Real Simple, January 2011
Hands-on Time: 35m
Total Time: 1hr 40m
Submitted by: Pete on February 27, 2012, 3:48 pm
Avg Rating: (1 votes)
Share this recipe:
Share Pappardelle With Beef and Mushroom Ragu on Facebook() Share Pappardelle With Beef and Mushroom Ragu on Google