1 lb. stewing lamb cubes, or lamb shoulder chops hacked into chunks
1 large onion, sliced into half moons
3-6 cloves garlic, minced
3-5 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 green cardamom pods
1 stick cinnamon
1-2 whole star anise
3-5 curry leaves (optional)
1 teaspoon ground hot pepper (I substituted thai chili paste here... could probably use cayenne pepper?)
3 tablespoon Madras curry powder
2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Cooking oil or clarified butter
1 large unsliced loaf of your favorite white or wholewheat/meal bread
3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1. In a deep, heavy pot over medium flame, heat cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and star anise in 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add onions and cook until translucent. Remove onions and whole spices to a plate and reserve.
3. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pot and cook the lamb until nicely browned on all sides.
4. Add a fourth tablespoon of oil and add powdered spices and curry leaves, stirring well. Cook for no more than two minutes before adding garlic and chopped tomatoes.
5. Stir mixture well until a kind of paste is formed (this will take some time to cook down the tomatoes) before returning onions and whole spices to the pot and adding enough water to cover everything.
6. Bring to a simmer and cook covered for at least an hour, preferably two.
7. After curry is cooked, taste for seasoning, and add salt to taste.
8. Add two or three tablespoons of plain/natural yogurt (or cream, if you’re feeling fancy) and stir well. Taste again.
9. It should be nicely spicy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If it’s still a bit thin, either continue to simmer uncovered until the right thickness is achieved, or sieve a tablespoon of flour into it, and it should thicken up nicely.
10. Cut your loaf into quarters, pull out some of the insides and reserve. Place quarter loaves on plates. Spoon curry into hollow bread, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and place reserved doughy inside of loaf on top.
Submitted by: Pete on January 7, 2014, 7:56 pm
This recipe is included in 1
Avg Rating: (1 votes)
Share this recipe: